Riding a bicycle has always been a fun and healthy recreational activity. In recent years, an increasing number of people across New Jersey have chosen bicycles as a mode of transportation to get to and from work and other locations.
Cycling can also be extremely dangerous, however, because bicyclists are not protected to the same extent as occupants of passenger vehicles during car accidents. When collisions involving bicyclists occur, bike riders are at greater risk to suffer catastrophic and disabling injuries.
If you or someone you love has suffered injuries in a bicycle accident in Newark or elsewhere in Northern New Jersey, including Essex, Sussex, Hudson, Somerset, Warren, Passaic, or other counties, I am here to help. As a dedicated and compassionate attorney with decades of experience, I represent victims of bicycle collisions to help them seek the compensation they need to move forward with their lives.
Contact me at Maran & Maran PC to discuss your particular situation.
The steps you take after your bicycle accident can have a fundamental impact on the outcome of your personal injury case. If you were involved in an accident while riding your bike, you should take the following steps:
- Get to safety. Move to the side of the road or bike path so that other vehicles do not hit you while you wait for the police and/or ambulance.
- Call 911 and summon the police. If your bicycle accident involved another vehicle, you may need to call the police. It is also important to call an ambulance to the scene of your bicycle accident to diagnose your injuries.
- Tell your version of events when the police arrive. The responding police officer will prepare a police report, which can become a key piece of evidence in your future personal injury case. Make sure that you get a copy of the report as well.
- Collect evidence. Do your best to gather evidence at the scene of the crash. Take photos of any damage to your bicycle or other vehicles, your injuries, skid marks, potholes, and other details that may be useful to determine fault. Talk to witnesses and get their contact information.
- Keep detailed records of your expenses and losses. Make sure that you document all of your damages, expenses, losses, and costs arising from the bicycle accident. You will be able to use those records to seek compensation from the at-fault party or their insurance company.
- Hire a skilled personal injury attorney. If you were injured in your bicycle accident, consider speaking with an experienced attorney to protect your rights and help you pursue the compensation to which you are entitled.
In New Jersey, bicycle riders must obey the same traffic laws as all other vehicle operators on the road. Bicyclists have the same rights and obligations as car drivers in the state, but there are also special rules that apply to bicycles. For example, New Jersey law requires bicyclists to ride as near to the right side of the road as practicable while exercising due care.
Under New Jersey law, all bicycle riders and passengers younger than 18 are legally required to wear a helmet that meets federal standards. The exception to wearing a helmet is if the underage person rides a bicycle on a road that is closed to traffic.
New Jersey law requires all car drivers to carry no-fault Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage, which covers the injuries sustained by the policyholder (the driver) and their passengers regardless of who was at fault. PIP coverage does not, however, extend to other injured parties - including bicyclists.
While you may be able to obtain compensation for your injuries by filing an insurance claim through your own insurance carrier, not all bicyclists in New Jersey carry insurance. If you were riding a bicycle and were hit by a car, you should contact a skilled attorney to review your particular case and identify your options for seeking compensation.
If you or your loved one has suffered injuries in a bicycle accident in Newark or anywhere throughout the counties of Northern New Jersey, reach out to me at Maran & Maran PC. As a reputable and results-driven bicycle accident attorney, I have the necessary expertise and resources to help you pursue the justice and compensation you and your family deserve.